While everyone has been delved into Windows 11, Microsoft has quietly released the newest iteration of their server operating system – Windows Server 2022. And, you can now download and install the stable version without kicking your heels.
The new server OS is built upon the robust foundation of server 2019 and comes with the main concepts viz. security, Azure integration, and application platform. The package comes along with Microsoft’s official support for five years until 13th October 2026 and extended support up to 14th October 2031.
The server 2022 has numerous improvements and other feature additions that we’ll discuss later in this article.
What is Windows Server?
Windows server is an operating system that Microsoft specially created to install and use on servers. It provides the infrastructure for connected web applications, networks, and web services. While offering support to standalone applications, it can also run on the hybrid mode by bridging on-premise and Azure installation environments.
Windows Server 2022 Features
- Secured-core server
- Secure connectivity
- Azure Arc enabled Windows servers
- Windows Admin Center
- Azure Automanage – Hotpatch
- Nested virtualization for AMD processors
- Microsoft Edge browser
- Storage Migration Service
- Adjustable storage repair speed
- Storage bus cache with Storage Spaces on standalone servers
- SMB compression
Windows Server 2022 Requirements
The minimum hardware requirements to run Windows server are as follows:
- Processor: 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor compatible with x64 instruction set, NX & DP supported, CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW supported, Second Level Address Translation (EPT or NPT) supported.
- RAM: 512 MB (2 GB for Server with Desktop Experience installation option), Error Correcting Code (ECC) type or similar technology for physical host deployments.
- Disk Space: 32 GB
- Network adapter: Ethernet adapter with at least 1 GBPS throughput, adaptable with the PCI Express architecture specification.
- Additonal: Graphics device and monitor capable of Super VGA (1024 x 768) or higher-resolution, UEFI 2.3.1c-based system and firmware that supports secure boot, Trusted Platform Module.
Windows Server 2022 Download
To download Windows server 2022, follow these steps:
- Head to this link to download Windows server 2022.
- Select your experience under the label “Get started for free”. Here, select ISO option and hit Continue button.
- Now, fill up the form and press Continue.
- Next, select your preferred language from the list and click Download.
The ISO file that you download will contain 3 different editions of the server viz. Standard, Datacenter, and Datacenter Azure edition.
Note that this is an evaluation version and the validity is only 180 days. Additionally, you need to activate the evaluation version via internet to in 10 days of installing to avoid automatic restarts every hour.
It’s Time to Simulate
Once you download the OS, directly upgrading your server from Windows server 2019 is not a good idea. First, simulate the upgrade on a test server and if everything works fine, run the actual migration process on your production server.
Microsoft has different types of product keys such as; MSDN, OEM, FPP retail license, Where MSDN release for students, OEM release for original equipment manufacture, comes into the hardware with pre-installed OS and fpp is retail version, comes with full package, Its costly but can be transfer from one PC to another without any issue but I know a site from which you can buy cheap, genuine and legit retail license from ODosta Store, which can be easily activate and then you may be able to get lifetime updates from Microsoft server.