WhatsApp is one of the most used messaging platforms for smartphones that provide a high level of security for its users. Regardless of individuals or businesses, WhatApp has become the primary chat messenger for making things easier. Since it is used for both personal and business use, it’s natural that you may need to take a backup of the chats. This may be for legal or business purposes, or simply as a backup for future reference. Whatever it is intended to, it’s recommended to take a regular backup of your WhatsApp chats and it can help you in the future. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to export WhatsApp chat history as a PDF file.
As the default export option can only give you an editable file that can be misused by anyone with bad intentions, it’s wise to save the chat history in a file format that can’t be edited that easily without leaving a trace. Here comes the use of a PDF file format. Once you convert your chat history editable file into PDF format, it can not be easily edited. So you can prevent the abuse of the contents in the file.
How to Export WhatsApp Chat History
Here are the step-by-step instructions to export your WhatsApp chat history. Just read on.
In the first step of exporting you will be provided with an editable file with a name something like WhatsApp Chat – Chat Name.txt
- Open WhatsApp on your Smartphone.
- Go to the Chat that you want to export/ take a backup.
- Tap on the Options button on the top (3 dots at the upper right corner).
- Tap More from the drop-down list.
- Select Export Chat from the next list that comes in.
- Now you will be asked whether to include or not the exchanged media files in your backup. If you opt for WITH MEDIA option the media files will be downloaded as separate files along with the chat history text file. In this tutorial, we’ll be using the WITHOUT MEDIA option.
- From the popup that appears then, you will need to select one of the services by which you want to export the files. The easiest way is to select the Gmail option. You can also send it to your online storage like Dropbox or Google Drive account.
- If you select Gmail (or any other e-mail client) type your email address in the next screen and send it. If you are using any online storage, then you have to browse the directory where you want to save the chat file. (Here we are sending it to Gmail)
- Now go to your inbox and you will see a new e-mail with your export file attached. Scroll down and download the file. Once done with that, open the download folder and navigate to the file that you downloaded. If you opted for online storage, then go to the folder where you save it and make sure that the file is exported successfully.
- You can either keep it in your Gmail (or the online storage) or download a copy into your computer. Once done you have the editable chat history file with you. Now it’s time to convert it into PDF format.
Convert the Chat History File into PDF
To convert your chat history file to PDF, you have a couple of options. One with any common text editors like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer on your computer and the other is with an online tool called SodaPDF.
Since the latter being the simplest method, we will proceed with that. The SodaPDF method.
- First, head over to the online TXT to PDF conversion tool called SodaPDF which is free to use.
- Now click on TAP TO ADD FILES and choose your chat file with .txt extension and wait for a few seconds. It will automatically convert your txt file into pdf.
- Once the conversion is complete a download button will appear and you can directly download your converted file easily.
- That’s it you have successfully exported your WhatsApp chat history as a PDF file.
Keeping the Chat History Secure
Once you converted your chat history file into PDF file format, you have to keep it secure for future reference. Regardless of the method by which you converted the chat history file, from now onwards, it will be an official record of that correspondence.
You can even consider exporting your chat history on a monthly basis in case of any personal or business needs.
Was it easy to export Whatsapp chat history as a PDF file? have you managed to get it done right? Well, we hope you did so. Which method did you use to convert the file to PDF? Please share your experiences and views in the comment section below. Also, don’t hesitate to ask if you have any queries regarding this. We’ll be more than happy to help you out.